How do I set up mControl to work with my iPad/iPhone
Purpose: This app note provides instructions on how install and start using the iPad/iPhone app for mControl
Background: mControl v3 has a native iPad/iPhone app, which can be used to status and control your mControl database.
- mControl v3 with minimum Base module required
Setup and Configuration
1. Install mControl v3: http://www.embeddedautomation.com/downloads/mcontrol/mControl%20v3%20-%20Quick%20Start%20Guide%20v1.00.pdf
2. Confirm your mControl installation:
- From the PC on which mControl is installed, access the mControl Editor - this will validate that mControl and related database/configuration is up and running
- From your iPad/iPhone's Safari browser, access the mControl mobile page by going to http://<mControlPC>/mControl/mobile.aspx - this will confirm that your web server and network are properly
- From you iPad/iPhone's Safari browser, access the mControl REST API page by going to http://<mControlPC>/mcontrol/api/help - this will confirm that the API to mControl is functional. You should see a list of commands available - if not, the web server must be adjusted to allow API access
3. From your iPad/iPhone, install mControl by going to the App Store or visiting: http://itunes.apple.com/ke/app/mcontrol/id447708928?mt=8
4. Configure the mControl iPad/iPhone app to talk to your mControl server:
- Press the top-right gear icon to adjust the app's configuraiton settings
- Domain: The IP address or domain of your mControl PC. For example, if your mControlPC is located at 192.168.1.10, just enter 192.168.1.10 - you do not need to enter the /mControl path
- Port: The port address, which is almost always 80, unless you've made some customizations in IIS.
- Initial Zone: This is the initial zone that you want shown once you enter the app
- Demo Mode: Turn this OFF to enable connection to a real mControl server.
- Connect - press the "Connect" button at the top of settings to go to your server
Typical Problems and Resolutions
mControl Editor on the mControl PC is not working
Use the mControl v3 Quick Start guide to debug your mControl installation.
mControl mobile page is not working on the iPad/iPhone's Safari browser
Try accessing just http://<mControlPC's IP Address> (e.g., http://192.168.1.10) - you should see the IIS splash screen. If not, this likely implies a networking failure.