Embedded Automation Forum  

Go Back   Embedded Automation Forum > mHome Products > mControl Software Integration > Other mControl Drivers
Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other mControl Drivers Drivers developed by Embedded Automation but not provided with core mControl installation

Old 05-11-2008, 02:17 PM

This is very cool! I've gotten it to work with my Extender (which suprised the heck out of my kids when they were watching cartoons and a message popped up that they left their bedroom lights on upstairs, and for that alone it was worth it!!!)

My mControl server is on my main VMC machine, I was running the editor to set things up, and had Live TV playing in a window as well, but when I tried to manually send events to that instance (on the main machine) it didn't work. I figured maybe VMC had to have focus, so I tried to send events via the mControl IE interface from my laptop - but the controls seem somewhat corrupted (it was displaying the track time and updating it but not removing the old characters so eventually it was a bunch of characters on top of characters), and the various options didn't seem to be available (i.e. play/pause/message/etc).

Also, when using the HTML interface, and adding an action, when I choose msgbox, I don't get another textbox to actually put in the text. Not a huge deal as it seems I can do this from the Editor but just thought I'd let you know (usually I do my programming from a different machine, and I don't think I can use the editor on a machine other than the server?)

Finally - I have a desire to have a single-button macro (phantom device on Harmony remote to USB-UIRT to trigger it) that will load the MCML page. Occasionally I'd like to go into the MCML to control a specific device for which I haven't set up a discrete macro. The problem has been that it's a lot of keystrokes to get there (even with mControl on the main menu). Unless there's an easier way to do this, I'm thinking that in a macro action I could use the "goto" command with the value MorePrograms or ExtensibilityURL, but I'm not sure what to use for the parameters.

g.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:41 AM

I was playing around with this and my extender. Very cool. Is there anyway the extender be a condition and not just an action. Say when I pause a movie then the lights dim back up, etc.

I saw it was listed under conditions, but there was nothing to select under it.

Like the media center event, since we can now communicate to the extender, can we get an extender event?

Last edited by ezzye; 05-12-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejumper View Post
I have a desire to have a single-button macro (phantom device on Harmony remote to USB-UIRT to trigger it) that will load the MCML page.
If I use "Goto" with "ExtensibilityURL" and enter http://localhost:29990 it pulls up the IE interface, but I haven't been able to figure out how to call the MCML interface - is this possible? And if so, is there also a way to select which zone comes up?

g.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 PM

What would make Mcontrol complete for me is to use this mce controller with my umpc being able to design a custom touch screen remote of all of the MCE activities plus home automation with 2 way feedback to the umpc.

EG - A panel with the MCE transport controls + light controls, options to bring up cctv etc on the umpc or the main screen etc

Basically a mix between the back end system of mHome with the screen customisation of something like mainlobby
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 PM
mControl Dev. Team
Site Admin

This is coming in a new product called mPanel (we already have working prototypes in house).
Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 PM

So is there anyway to do what I described in the above post?
Or am I the only one who wishes to do this
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzye View Post
I was playing around with this and my extender. Very cool. Is there anyway the extender be a condition and not just an action. Say when I pause a movie then the lights dim back up, etc.

I saw it was listed under conditions, but there was nothing to select under it.

Like the media center event, since we can now communicate to the extender, can we get an extender event?
We can not use mce event as conditions in this stage. Because the event messages are broadcasted and displayed but not analyzed.

This mechanism will be available in the a later version.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 AM

Ok. Great. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejumper View Post
If I use "Goto" with "ExtensibilityURL" and enter http://localhost:29990 it pulls up the IE interface, but I haven't been able to figure out how to call the MCML interface - is this possible? And if so, is there also a way to select which zone comes up?

g.
I too would love to have this functionality - is it possible?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias2007 View Post
I too would love to have this functionality - is it possible?
Yes! It is possible - I just figured out a way to get this working - not as simple/elegant as I'd like, but here's how it works:

I found, in another post here, something about starting VMC with a parameter to launch the mControl HTML interface. After researching a bit more, there's also a parameter that starts an MCML add-in, it works like this:

ehshell.exe /entrypoint:{APP_GUID}\{ENTRYPOINT_GUID}

So, examining mControlMCML_Vista.xml, both guids are listed, so I fired up a command prompt with VMC running in a window, and used the command:

ehshell.exe /entrypoint:{aebf238a-a1c5-4354-ba23-e693cb9f219e}\{3de6904a-d9c7-4ef9-b77d-c1216b39161e}

Cool, watching Live TV, and mControl pops up over top!

Next, I created a macro action that runs an application - after enabling Run Application in the mControl Service manager, as well as changing the mControl service to Interact with the Desktop. Unfortunately this doesn't work - in Vista, services are isolated to session 0, whereas user sessions start with 1 (for the first logged-in user), therefore mControl (in session 0)running an application that interacts with the desktop interacts with the invisible session 0, so no joy.

Fortunately, there's a package of command-line tools (free) called PSTOOLS, at the Windows Sysinternals site, which contains a utility called psexec. This magic little utility allows you to run a command in a different session.

After putting psexec.exe in my windows\system32 directory (you could probably put it anywhere in your path, or specify the full path, I just put things like this in system32 where I feel they belong and are easily accessed, UAC may interfere with this but I have that turned off)

My macro's Action is Run Application, Application Path is simply "psexec" (no quotes), and the Parameters field is:

-i 1 c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe /entrypoint:{aebf238a-a1c5-4354-ba23-e693cb9f219e}\{3de6904a-d9c7-4ef9-b77d-c1216b39161e}

Finally, to tie it all together, I programmed a phantom device into my Harmony Remote (a Sony TV, which I don't own), picked the command "6" to represent mControl MCML, learned the ir code for 6 via USB-UIRT, used that IR Command to trigger my "mControl" macro, and put the Sony TV 6 code on a softbutton on the Harmony (also added a VMC Pause action in the macro).

Now I can watch TV, and hit a single softbutton, which pauses the show I'm watching (which also brightens the lights in the family room a bit), and pops up the mControl MCML interface so I can manually adjust lights elsewhere in the house, for example turns off a light in the kid's room who forgot to turn it off. I do have a number of macros/scenes set up already, but this gives more granular control to situations that don't need scenes/etc.

Anyway, hope this helps - it took a bit to figure out but I really really wanted this!

g.