Embedded Automation Forum  

Go Back   Embedded Automation Forum > mHome Products > mPanel > mPanel Beta
Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

mPanel Beta Information and discussion on the mPanel beta.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Site Admin

Default mPanel - V1.0.3631.091210 *BETA*

mPanel v1.0.3631.091210 *BETA*

We believe that we have been able to solve the issue related to Album Art not showing up on mPanel. Previously, we were using Amazon to retrieve album art, but have now been able to extend our existing UPnP infrastructure to retrieve album art stored on the selected media server. This will prove to be faster and, we believe, give a more consistent art selection.

Though we have proved this in our lab, we have seen some issues related to Album Art not being loaded on slow networks and are investigating this issue.

Please post your feedback on your results.

=====

mPanel software v1.0.3631.091210: http://www.embeddedautomation.com/mpanel/software/mPanel - V1.0.3631.091210.zip

Last edited by Ted Singh; 12-17-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:20 AM

Ted,
I am out of town. Will test this first thing tomorrow when I get home. I have a very good network (all hardwired gigabit ports) so everything should test fine. Looking forward to it.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Ted,
Tested the new software this morning. Album art is working again!!

Couple of things
1. Would it be possible to have the album art stored on the mpanel itself? It seems like it reloads the album art everytime you scroll up or down when browsing the music.
2. Would it be possible to add a "Apply Changes" button to the thermostat screen on the mpanel? From either media center or my iphone, when I adjust the temperature and hit "apply" the thermostat (z-wave Wayne Dalton) responds immediately. If I make the changes from the mpanels, it sometimes takes 3 to 4 minutes for the thermostat to actually do what I want it to do. What interesting is that if I adjust the temp up or down on the mpanel, it immediately changes on the thermostat but nothing happens after that. For example, it the current temp is 71 F and I want my heat to come on, I go the mpanel and adjust when to start heating to 72 F. The thermostat lights up immediately so I know it's getting the communication, but nothing happens for a few minutes. If I do it from media center or my phone, the heat comes right on because I can click the apply button. Anyway, if that can be added to a future version of the mpanel software, that would be great!
3. With the new software, the music seems to load faster. Not sure if you made changes there but it does load faster.

Thanks Ted,
Paul
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Site Admin

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. We are considering this but some customer music libraries are *huge* and we're concerned about what this might mean in terms of storage. Nevertheles, we do have a development task to look into this.
2. We'll take a look into this.
3. Yes, we did try to improve this - it was a request from many customers.

Ted
Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Ted.
On # 1, I understand what you are saying about huge music libraries. What if the cache file of album art was hosted on the pc that is supplying the mPanel the music. Not sure if that is possible or not, but it would be almost as quick as having it saved right on the mpanel itself. I understand people may have different libraries on different pc's and that can get confusing, but I bet most people have a majority of their music on one pc or server. The pc would need to be on anyway to supply the music to mpanel.

Another option would be to have the cache stored on a thumb drrive (or whatever they are called) attached to the usb port of the mpanel. They are extremely cheap so I don't think it is something most people would complain about having to buy if they want instant cover art.

Anyway, these are just ideas and you guys are way more qualified than I am to know what works and what doesn't. I appreciate your continued work on this great product.

Paul
Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Ted,
I think I know what the problem is in relation to #2 above. On mPanel, when I go to the zone I have my thermostat it shows everything correctly. I see the temp and I see that it is set to "heat". When I hit the play button to go to the main thermostat screen, instead of saying "heat", it says "idle". So, if I change the temp, it doesn't do anything because the thermostat is getting the "idle" hvac mode instead of "heat". Both of my mpanels have the new beta software so I am not sure if this started with the new software or not. I usually change the thermostat from my phone or media center.
Anyway, just wondering if you guys are seeing that as well?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 PM

One more thing...
Would it be possible to incorporate something like pandora or rhapsody into mPanel? I am getting tired of my cd collection and find myself listening to other sources like pandora to hear music I haven't before but is similar to artist I like.
Since mPanel was capable of going out on the internet and downloading album art from Amazon, then it should theoretically be able to stream music from Pandora. Anyway, that may be wishful thinking but it would sure be nice.

Paul
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to welchwerks
Default independat software

Hi i am wanting to use mpanel software on my elo touchpanel do you plan on making a seperate version for this type of setup
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Have the this latest update, but album art is not being shown.
Using gigabit network. Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Ted, any ideas. Cant get the album art to show.
Using WHS, dont think its a sharing issue, for I can play the music just fine.