Embedded Automation Forum  

Go Back   Embedded Automation Forum > mHome Products > mControl Software Integration > Other mControl Drivers
Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other mControl Drivers Drivers developed by Embedded Automation but not provided with core mControl installation

Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Site Admin

Default mControl Driver: Vista Media Center Controller

UPDATE as of May 28, 2010:
We have tested the latest version of the Media Center TCP/IP Controller driver included in the Driver Pack of mControl v2.1 RC5 B3 (Build 3785) with the latest builds of the Media Center TCP/IP Controller.

mControl's Media Center TCP/IP Controller driver is working but there appear to be some changes within the Controller software which prevent proper operation:
- With the Win 7 alpha - no EPG - no TV commands (Oct 13 2009, Alpha) version, the STOP, PAUSE and PLAY buttons do not appear to function.
- With the Win7 64 and 32 bit Alpha - button command fix (May 25 2010, Alpha), status messages from the system do not appear to function.

One other FAQ that we can provide some feedback on:
Q: How do you send a "Green Button" command.
A: Select "Goto Home"

/End of Update

==

We are pleased to provide a beta version of our Vista Media Center Controller driver. This is a "native" mControl driver that can be used to control Vista Media Center PCs and attached extenders.

To use:
1. Ensure that you have mControl v2.1.3043 (or higher) installed.

2. Install the mControl Vista Media Center Controller driver:
(a) Download the following archive file: http://www.embeddedautomation.com/EAWmcController.zip
(b) Extract the contents to C:\Program Files\Embedded Automation\mControl\server\plugins

(c) You'll need to use the mControl Service Controller utility to restart mControl to get mControl to use the new driver. (Don't forget to check to see if this new driver has been enabled - by default it has been enabled.)
  • The mControl VMC Controller driver can run on Vista *and* non-Vista Media Center machines (e.g., WHS or XP), but can only control Vista Media Centers.
3. Install the Vista Media Center Controller utility - this is what the mControl communicates with to control and receive information from the Vista Media Center:

(a) The mControl Vista Media Center Controller can be downloaded from here and is available as an installable file: http://www.codeplex.com/VmcControlle...eleaseId=12882.
  • The Vista Media Center Controller utility needs to be installed on each Vista Media Center PC that you would like to control. This will also allow you to control extenders (e.g., Xbox 360) associated with the Vista Media Center.
  • As the name implies, the Vista Media Center Controller is for Vista Media Center PCs, not MCE 2005 systems.
  • Currently, Vista Media Center needs to be running for the Controller to operate
*** We would like to thank bradsjm for writing this utility and making it available to the Windows Media Center community ***

To use:
1. Create a device, specifying the adapter as "EA WMC Controller". Then specify the IP address of the Vista Media Center that you are controlling. Specify the Send IP Port (40500) and Receive IP Port (40400). (If you are controlling an extender associated with this Media Center, then specify 40501/40401 (1st extender), 40502/40402 (2nd extender), etc.

2. Use mControl Editor to send messages or use the device/commands within macros. And if you are a mControl SDK user, this functionality is available to you as well. The following image was generated within a macro - using the MsgBox command:

Last edited by Ted Singh; 05-28-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Thanks to bradsjm, Version of mControl; SDK support available; May 2010 Update
Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 PM

Wow, this is an incredible plug-in!

I'm very excited to try it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Very nice guys!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Just thought of a cool idea.

Many people use their AV/R to control the volume instead of VMC, especially because when Toslink is used Windows can't control the volume.

Since some of us already have mControl connected to our AV/R and now we have two way control of VMC, it would be cool if we could keep the very useful volume indicator in Vista synced with the volume of our AV/R. This of course we would require two-way control of our AV/R, but would be really cool.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 PM

We should all be thanking "bradsjm" for opening up the source code and releasing the vmccontroller for everyone to use...

A HUGE THANK YOU GOES OUT TO HIM!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Site Admin

jbworks,

Agreed. I've added our thanks to him in our original post.

Ted
Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Not sure why, but it isn't working for me. I installed both pieces and added a device but when I try to send command via mControl editor, nothing happens. Here is the log.

Code:
2008-05-09 23:44:06.765	00:02:22.2481510	(018)	I0	Automation command [20, "192.168.111.20|40500|40400", "button-ch-plus", -1, "EAWmcControllerAdapter", 1]
So from cmd.exe I run
telnet 192.168.111.20 40500
Then type
button-ch-plus

Which returns "204 Success" and I see what I expect on the VMC.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Site Admin

bjdraw,

We would need to see more than that one line in the log file. The problem could be with the connection - though your telnet session would imply otherwise. Please send the logs to support at embeddedautomation dot com

Ted
Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Don't forget the MCE2005 folks!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Guys this is a fantastic, very powerful plugin - well done.

Is there any way to control MControl Media Center events?

For example: when the motion sensor sends a signal, change to an IP camera view.

Even more powerful would be if this could be integrated into the Msgbox function. With this plugin if motion is detected in my yard I am informed by a on-screen message (which my wife loves) but it would be even better if the dialogue box asked me if I wanted to view the IP camera associated with this area. Is the impossible?

Also, small thing but the onscreen messages appear in lower and upper-case when I send them from the editor, but capital letters only when part of a macro. It's not a big deal but I wondered why!