Embedded Automation Forum  

Go Back   Embedded Automation Forum > mHome Products > mControl Application Notes > Using Z-Wave with mControl
Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using Z-Wave with mControl Tips and tricks on how to use Z-Wave with mControl

Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Send me an pm with your email.

I have a very very basic thermostat driver for mControl v2, so you can build your own based on this driver.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Default I certainly will

Hi there,

This is excellent - thank you I will certainly do this.

Ben can you also sen me you email via PM so I can forward to you for testing.

Kind regards,
Neal
Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Default The Latest...

Hi there,

Okay so Gjniewenhuijse has been very kind in sharing his dev. work with me and I am going to do all i can to get things up an running and will of course shar this if... a good result is seen.

I welcome any direction on this "mini" project.

@BenPowel - you the chap with the curent device could you get in touch so I can sent you test software to try - if this is going to be too complicated I may just purchase one myself in the hope I will have sucsess.

...Watch this space..

"Lights_On!"
Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Cool

HI, just checked measages.

If anyone can send me the files for this stat and advise how i install. I am willing to test. As i said the Stat is currently gathering dust and i am keen to get it working.

Thanks for your help "Light On" Have Pm you.

Regards
Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 AM

Default A Soloution - but far from origional idea

Hi All,

Okay so I have the everspring thermostat working in mControl!...finely!

I would like to firstly thank gjniewenhuijse, scruzphreak, TED, and Ben in this post for their support - all you guys have helped in any way you can and has led me on a journey that has had multiple successes.

Following speaking with all you guys it became apparent I could not get a driver cheaply or easily and as such continued my search for a driver developer which let me to Hadi of ShifraSmartHomes (on this forum and the web).

Hadi immediately advised me I was going about this wrong as I would constantly need updated and new drivers - valid point. He pointed me in the direction of a Verde 3 unit and drivers that integrate with mcontrol.

Hadi - youíre a legend! Okay so a bit pricey but swapping the Verde 3 for my aeon labs zstick and using the integrated drivers + doing all the setup has solved:

*no more needing to restart mcontrol service as it no longer keeps falling over
*far quicker zwave responses from Mcrontrol
*much more stable Zwave network
*ability to "heal" and repair network easily.
*ability to add many many many more devices without a need for individual drives to fit mcontrol.

So as I say it costs a bit more but is completely worth it.

I recommend Hadi at ShifraSmartHomes very highly he is a gentleman and very educated in his area - he has certainly helped solve many of my set up issues and I canít thank him enough. (His other home automation products are ace also!)

any way thank you to all and we found a solution after all - and although much longer way round than expected - I feel the better option as fixes a multitude of issues at the same time.

Regards,
"Lights_On"
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Hi lights on

I am new to home automation and sometimes get a little frustrated at the lack of support for some new itemsin mcontrol. If I understand your last post it is possible to replace a zwave USB stick with the Vera and therefore utilize the Vera's updated driver base to add support for new devices using mcontrol as the interface to control everything.

I hope this is what I understood because I really like the mcontrol interface and have thought of going to homeseer many times but the high cost of homeseer has really held me back. The combination of Vera with mcontrol would be a winner in my book.

Also, I am on version 2 not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 PM

Hi Jmarty32,

You got it - and I too am on V2 still - no need to upgrade yet that I can see anyway.

I cant recomend the switch over enough - it has soo many benerfits and allows for mcontrol to do what it does best with media center integration and vera to do what it does best with zwave.

May I recomend http://www.shifrasmarthomes.com/ as Hadi there has helped me and I am sure he would be happy to also sell yuo a vera 3 and support you with set up.

again - i wish i had done this a long time ago.

good luck and enjoy the stability, functioanlity, and genral operation as you would hope for now!

all the best.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Thanks light on,

Thanks for the information.
This definitely seems like the salvation for me in keeping the mcontrol interface and being able to add many products that they currently donít support especially since the wife is familiar with mcontrol and it would be hard for me to convince her to try another platform.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM

ah this is great just what i need, i will be getting one of these boxs,one thing though im lookin to use some horstmann heating stats eu type would this be possible with this?is there anywhere i can see exactly what devices are compatible with this? also once its compatible with the vera does it mean it can be controlled via mcontrol regardless ?
thanks,eamonn

Last edited by eao1; 05-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

eao1

Please let us know how it goes. I have to wait a little longer before i can buy the casa verde vera but would be very interested in the the recomendations given by Hadi @ shifra homes